Sassy Friends!

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Sassy Saturday's Guest Post: Nails For The Sake Of Sanity



Welcome to another Sassy Saturday Guest Post! I'm really enjoying having these guest posts. There are so many talented ladies out there and I am honored that they want to grace my blog with their presence! Today is the first Sassy Saturday in October so that means our guest poster has some spooky nail art for us!! Yay! I just love Halloween! So now I will turn it over to Kelly...


Hey there, Sassy Paints readers! I'm Kelly from Nails for the Sake of Sanity and I can't tell you how excited I am to be sharing this post with you guys today! I've absolutely loved Gini's blog ever since I laid eyes on it, so it's really an honor that she asked me to be a part of Sassy Saturdays. :D Okay, enough gushing - let's get to the nails!
Since it is officially October, I feel it is appropriate to start sharing Halloween nail art. Halloween is my favorite holiday, so I couldn't wait. I decided to attempt a graveyard scene!


I have to admit, I didn't pull this concept completely out of nowhere. I found this image while Googling, and fell in love. 


I wanted to do something a little different for the background, though. I thought a dark, spooky gradient would be the perfect thing. For those of you who haven't done a lot of gradients, I've included some steps showing you how I do mine.
First, I paint on the base color - for me, this is the color that you want closest to your cuticle line. Mine was Sinful Colors Rain Storm. This is the type of makeup sponge I use to paint on the three colors I'll be blending.


To make cleanup (slightly) easier, I try to remember to tape off my nails, like the next photo shows. Let's be honest, though - I usually don't! I just scrub off the excess in the shower. 


After I paint the three colors on the sponge in the order I want them (Rain Storm, Sinful Colors Smokin, and China Glaze Elephant Walk) I dab off the excess, as seen below on the paper, before dabbing on to my nail. Those 3 darker sets of color are where I was trying different combinations to see which one I wanted to use for my gradient.


The finished product will usually look something like this next photo. It will probably be messy and bumpy. Like I said, the excess polish around the nail comes off in the shower or you can use acetone and a cleanup brush, and the bumps completely go away once you add topcoat!


I added a layer of Seche Vite topcoat and then I went to town with my graveyard silhouettes. I freehanded them using my Stripe Rite stripers in black and white, and I used a toothpick for the cat's eyes. So here it is - the finished product! :)




And there you have it - my Halloween Graveyard scene! I ended up really loving this look - what do you think? I would love it if you would check out my blog for more nail art and swatches.
I want to really thank Gini for letting me guest post for her and share my nail art with all of you guys! Thanks for looking! :)
<3 Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, suggestions, questions etc. so feel free to leave your feedback! I may not always respond to each and every comment but I do read them all! If you want me to check out your blog leave a comment on the blog roll page (that tab is at the top of the page). Please do not leave links on my main page, they WILL BE DELETED! If you would like to have me review your product you can find my info in the Contact/Pr Info tab at the top of the page! Thanks for reading and subscribing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...